Weekly Update – April 8, 2022

I’ve noticed that for at least several weeks, my todo list hasn’t gotten any shorter. I’m adding as many items to the list as I’m removing. The scope of the remaining UI work keeps growing, either because tasks are taking longer than expected or the features that have been added require additional features. It’s been time well spent, however; the UI is critical because one of my key goals is make the game as easy to learn and play as possible.

  • Added text to Action icons. UI best practice is generally to display labels with icons rather than icons alone. 
Action icon labels
  • Inspect Panel improvements.
    • When inspecting a cell, the Inspect Panel now displays all inspectable objects in the cell, including actors, items, and the cell type itself. This allows the player to see details and perform actions on a specific inspectable in the cell (previously only the top inspectable was accessible). 
    • Actions that can be performed on the object being inspected but aren’t available for some reason (typically the player isn’t close enough to the object) are now displayed so that the player can see all potential actions.
Inspect Panel improvements
  • Tooltips for empty hotbar, Quick Switch, and Quick Switch Deselect slots. Hovering over one of these slots now displays a tooltip indicating what the slot does and how to use it.
  • Code improvements/rework
    • Actions that can be performed on an item or actor are defined as lists that can be edited in the Unity editor. This worked well until I created a new action that applies to all items. Since most items have the same actions, I created a ScriptableObject called ActionCollection that contains a list of actions and replaced the entity action list with a list of ActionCollections. This allows changes to be made quickly to the core set of items, enemies, or other related entities, while still allowing for variation.
    • Actors in a cell are stored in a typed list. Likewise, items are stored in a separate typed list. This was implemented before I modified actors and items to inherit from the same parent, Entity. Having two separate lists caused some problems. One of those problems was that the order of an actor relative to an item couldn’t be determined. The logic that occurred when a player clicked on a cell checked actors first and items second. So, if a cell contained a table and there was a health potion on the table, clicking the cell caused the player to hit the table rather than take the potion. I solved this problem by combining the actor and item collections into a single entity collection. This was easy to do because the interface remained the same.
    • The recent rework made it possible to use a data-driven for some actions that were previously hard-coded. For example, each item now has a Take action, replacing logic that automatically performed a take action if an entity was an item.
  • Started tracking my time with Clockify.me. It integrates with Trello, the tool I use for planning and issue tracking. I’ve started tracking my time to become more aware of how much time I’m spending on the project and where the time is going (enhancements, bugs, etc.).
  • Thought more about a new name. I came up with one name that I like and a short list of decent names. This process is going to take a few weeks at least.

Next week will likely consist of more UI refinements. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.