Implementing the Vampire’s AI was a lot of work. The process revealed the need for additional capabilities to support more varied and advanced AI. With the new AI framework, creating AI for new enemies in the future will be faster. The Egg, also added this week, is evidence of that.
- New Enemies
- Vampire. The Vampire is a dangerous enemy that has the special ability to transform into a bat and flee when its health is low. It returns to Vampire form after its health regenerates.
- Egg. When the Egg detects the player nearby, it starts to hatch. The Egg can be destroyed in one hit if the player gets to it in time. But, if the player doesn’t get to it in time, a creature hatches from it.
- New Objects
- Coffin. A Coffin can be opened or closed and can contain a Vampire and/or items, or be empty.
- Puddle. This is a single cell containing shallow water. It’s only found in caves. It’s just decorative at the moment. I plan to leverage the existing Physical Materials framework to add interactivity.
- New Map Elements
- Coffin Area. This map element places a single Coffin in a significant location in a room.
- Egg Area. The Egg Area Map Element contains a cluster of Eggs.
- Built new reusable capabilities. The above features required the implementation of new capabilities including a new action type to move an actor and trigger an effect at the same time (used when the Vampire flees to move away from the player and transform into a bat), a health regeneration status effect (used by the Vampire), the ability to prevent health bars from animating in specific situations (used when a Vampire transforms into a bat and health is transferred), generate particle effects when effect types are triggered (used to display a cloud of smoke when the Vampire transforms), and a new AI for actors that triggers an effect when the player is seen (used by the Egg to transform into a Cracked Egg), with an optional delay (used by the Cracked Egg to hatch after a number of turns).
`Next week will be a mix of new content and bug fixing.